In the heart of Madrid is one of the premier botanical gardens of the world. It is called El Real Jardín Botánico de Madrid (The Royal Botanical Gardens of Madrid).
In 1755, Fernando VI ordered the creation of these gardens. In 1774, it was moved to its current location by Carlos III, where it was inaugurated in 1781.
It is well known for its wild roses garden which are pictured above.
Typical of garden designs from the period there are statues and fountains throughout.
It is located directly across the street from the Prado museum and is a great place to take a break.
“Earth laughs in flowers.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson