It is avocado season and we are lucky enough to have our own tree in the backyard. During this time of the year we are picking avocados daily. We love to share them with our friends and neighbors.
Today we are going to share with you one of our favorite shrimp ceviche recipes that highlights our avocados and red limes from the garden.
- 2 lb medium shrimp, pre-cooked, shelled, and de-veined
- 2 cups lime juice (we use red limes grown in our garden)
- The juice from 1 orange
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped (also grown in our garden)
- A few cherry tomatoes (to taste) thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of ketchup (to taste – optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon of hot sauce (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of mustard (to taste)
- Olive oil (to taste)
- Ground pepper and salt
Make sure the shrimp is at refrigerator temperature. Mix together in a bowl the lime juice, the orange juice, onion, tomatoes, ketchup, hot sauce, mustard, olive oil, and seasoning. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and allow the shrimp to stand for an hour.
When the Shrimp Ceviche is ready cut an avocado in half and pull the pit out. Serve the Shrimp Ceviche on top of an avocado halves.